SPARK Certified Green Generator Registration
Here’s your chance to change the electricity landscape in Alberta for solar and wind in three easy steps!
If you are not already a SPARK member, you will need to sign up as one first before you can register as a SPARK Certified Green Generator. To sign up as a SPARK member, please fill up our online SPARK Membership Application Form
Next, you will need to download the SPARK Green Offset Program – Terms and Conditions and Registration Form. Please carefully read through our Terms & Conditions to clearly understand the mechanics and conditions of this program. Once the form has been completed and signed, please email it to email@example.com.
Once we have processed your request, we will send you a confirmation email with your assigned SPARK Certified Green Generator ID code which will correspond to your generator category and the order in which you registered as a SPARK Certified Green Generator. For example, YYC-SOLAR-001 corresponds to the first micro-generator registered in the Calgary solar micro-generators category. Your monthly exported energy (kWh) as measured by the utility will be registered as a Green Energy Offset in SPARK’s offset registry. These registered Green Energy Offsets will remain in SPARK’s offset registry until purchased and retired by Green Power Rate customers or until unretired offsets are returned to the generator upon their exit from the program.
Click here to learn more about our existing SPARK Certified Green Generators!
How do you determine the compensation for each generator?
Green Energy Offsets are purchased and retired in the order in which they are registered with SPARK.
• The oldest registered offsets are retired first within each generator category (Example – Registered offsets from January 2015 are purchased and retired before offsets from February 2015; Offsets carried over from Q4-2014 are purchased and retired before offsets from January 2015)
• Offsets from the same month are retired based on the generator ID; older generator ID’s offsets are sold before newer generator ID’s offsets
How will SPARK Certified Green Generators receive compensation?
What is the reporting and audit process of SPARK Green Energy Offsets?
At the heart of our Green Offset program are our strong co-operative values with transparency being the key component.
Reporting Process of SPARK Green Offset Program
The energy consumption (kWh) of SPARK Green Power Rate customers and the supply of SPARK Green Energy Offsets (kWh) from SPARK Certified Green Generators will be tracked and reviewed quarterly.
SPARK Green Power Rate Customers will receive annual reports, which will include the following information:
• Details on the impact of their support for Alberta’s solar and wind generators including:
i. Total green energy supplied to the grid by each green generator group (kWh)
ii. Total Green Energy Offsets purchased from their chosen green generator group (kWh)
iii. SPARK Certified Green Generator Updates
SPARK Certified Green Generators will receive quarterly reports within 45 days of end of quarter. Reports will include details specific to the generator’s category:
• Green Energy Offsets (kWh) purchased by SPARK Green Power Rate customers
• Number of generators within the category
• Total Green Energy Offsets registered in SPARK’s offset registry (kWh)
• Total Green Energy Offsets retired from SPARK’s offset registry (kWh)
• Total Green Energy Offsets carried forward to the next quarter (kWh)
• Details of any offsets transferred to or from other generator categories in cases of inadequate generator offset supply
• Overall program details with summary of all generator categories
SPARK Green Offset Program Audit
An annual audit will be conducted by SPARK member auditors (representatives from both SPARK Green Power Rate base and SPARK Certified Green Generator group) to review quarterly settlements to ensure every kWh of the SPARK Green Power Rate is offset by a kWh of green energy generated by a SPARK Certified Green Generator. Any discrepancies will be formally noted for review by SPARK staff with copy provided to the SPARK Board of Directors. Any errors or inconsistencies will be rectified by the next quarter.
Click here to view the SPARK Green Offset Program Quarterly Reports. Please note that a more detailed version of this report is provided to the participating generators and Green Power Rate customers.